Cyclone tracy personal stories-Cyclone Tracy Stories

We were now standing around in a dazed little family huddle. Looking around, we could see little family groups everywhere doing the same looking in disbelief at the rubble of their homes. Even though the night's experience had been traumatic, no one really expected such a scene. Then the shock hit. People suddenly became very cold and shivered uncontrollably - us included.

Cyclone tracy personal stories

Cyclone tracy personal stories

Cyclone tracy personal stories

Children play peekaboo on the bed. Brain damage!! I remember that date clearly as it was Big booty latin women birthday. After the eye, when the winds were extreme, the concrete walls had collapsed on her and the little one, seriously injuring them. You're better off in there than what you are on this bloody thing'. I landed in Sydney late in the evening, driven to the base at Pegsonal and started work the next day without any debriefing or counselling. The boys must have had a look of concern, because he took the hands of our five year old, and kneeling down in front of him, said, "Will you fly again with me, and your brave Grandma? The clients were desperate, clamouring Cyclone tracy personal stories their personal and Cyclone tracy personal stories documentation. Our cat also ended her days at the farm.

Strip costumes. See a Problem?

Between 26 and 31 December, a total of 35, people were evacuated from Darwin. He was dressed in his pyjama shorts. Error rating book. Click here to see the rest of the form and complete your submission. It was …. He was needing to make two or three runs at the figures. My friend next door had followed me into the Cyclone tracy personal stories of our house. By MayDarwin's population had recovered somewhat, with 30, residing in the city. They, along with my paints, were gone with the wind. People were going down the highway and opening the valves of the pipeline just to wash themselves properly. Then he went off to check on others. With telephones, radios, electricity, water, everything down, we felt very vulnerable and desperate to know how and where they were. The selfless emergency personnel, who gave up their private lives Cyclone tracy personal stories help others, were checking the ruins of Darwin for the wounded and dead.

As described in the linked account above, "Bruce Stannard

  • Cyclone Tracy was a tropical cyclone that devastated the city of Darwin , Northern Territory, Australia from 24 to 26 December
  • We were now standing around in a dazed little family huddle.
  • I was only 7 when Cyclone Tracy stuck and I will never forget it.
  • Many of the Cyclone Tracy Stories we receive are obviously written simply because Cyclone Tracy has had a powerful influence on all Australians - even those who were never in Darwin in

As described in the linked account above, "Bruce Stannard Bruce wrote, "A major cyclone hit northern Australia at Christmas time 40 years ago, doing major damage in and around the coastal city of Darwin.

An Aussie friend of mine was a year-old member of a volunteer ambulance company in Darwin when the cyclone hit. She shared her reflections with me this week, looking back at her experience. Following her story, below, are some thoughts from a friend of hers who was in Darwin at that time as a year-old member of the Royal Australian Air Force.

We talk a lot about what disasters are like from the incident management side, from the top looking down. My friend gave me permission to share these stories with you.

First account: This year marks the 40th anniversary of Cyclone Tracy, which was very similar to Hurricane Katrina but much smaller in geographic size. This is the result of some deep thinking. It is p. Tonight there is no rain, no wind but the buildup is still making it very humid. I sit here relaxed and pondering what was. Very thankful that I was the rung at the bottom of the ladder of responsibility that night. Our little home, a foot caravan was tied down and prepared for Cyclone Selma.

That was a good practice run. We used star pickets and foot lashings to secure that van with the hope that there would be minimal damage. We anchored the annex by tying a suitcase of textbooks to a loop in the roof then tied ropes over and across the annex to stop it billowing up. We headed off for our rostered volunteer shift at St John. We checked the cars, restocked and prepared. Rain, rain, rain. Cyclone Selma was close. The phone rang and we headed off to a motor vehicle accident on the corner of Parap Road and the Stuart Highway.

Limited visibility, everyone drenched, moderate injuries, slippery roads. Van is anchored, everything is stowed. Same day of the week, same roster, maybe get there earlier. Cars checked, restocked and prepared. Time for tea. Fannie Bay shop and the man asks, 'Do you think this will hit?

Did I go on any jobs that night? I don't know. Later when we changed shifts people came and people left. Some went home to be with family, some brought family to us. A team, one big family. Phone calls come and crews are out. Rain, rain and wind. Wind intensifies, ambulances still out. Phones continue to ring with reports of injuries and needing help. Need to remember first aid and explain over the phone. Danger, response, airway, breathing circulation.

Stop bleeding. Ambulances need to come back to the centre, wind too strong, too dangerous. A heart attack just across the road, can we help?

Not sure. Get up to ask advice but quick as a flash and a gust of wind. The aircon is where I have been. A hole in the wall and the rain comes in. Walls of the comms room start to shake. Waterproof the phones and radios, need to preserve them. Garbage bags, plastic bags, sticky tape, anything will do. Windows break. The children in danger, we are in danger.

We need to move so a safer area. We stand at the door and wait for a lull. Grants holds his new baby ready to run out of the door and down the stairs.

The radio tower comes down with the cable just missing the baby. We all jump back and land in a heap. The baby is safe. We try again and with success reach the crew room but some are distressed. We see the damage happening out there and hear the roar of the wind.

Howling, scraping tin, rain, train roar. Children play peekaboo on the bed. Adults are anxious and listen with dread. The wind is so strong. Was that the roof? Was that the wall? Are the cars OK? We pause, we look at each other and wonder if it is over. Outside we go and the carnage we see but the man with the heart attack, where is he?

The crew go to look but don't get far, it is impossible to find him. Roads strewn with debris, its 4. The radio tower rests on the ambulance, it is dented and bent.

We hear the roar and race back inside. From safety we listen with despair and alarm to the wind which is crazier. The children play on and the baby sleeps safe, all unaware of the danger we face. It is 6. Are we the only ones to survive this night from hell? All around there is damage, not a nice site. The huge tree that was on my car has gone. The roads are all blocked, the debris is thick, people start to arrive, both the injured and sick. We check all the vehicles are safe and ready to go.

No radio, no phone. We go to the school where people are gathering and Those trips to the hospital, there were so many. Exhausted, fell asleep on the table in the crew room. Others asleep, but not for long. Back on the road. Blood, At Casuarina Square, triage the injured, keep the families together, no linen or equipment, just assurance and hope.

The meat trays are dry, they are clean and ready, people lay in them protected for now. What were their injuries, I don't remember, there are so many. No linen for stretchers, bare covers that's all. Disinfect and go again. The days and nights roll into one, fall asleep in the car on the front seat, stretch out in the back for a quick nap. The injuries we see are so varied from spinal to cuts and deep lacerations.

We all work as a team and do what we can. The pilot from Ansett. Who was he? He phoned my mum to tell her I was OK. She sat at the TV looking for news of me but now she could rest. Our volunteer family are all safe though some are injured and in a bad state.

We slept on the floor with our blankets. For taking a transfer to the Top End away from the major cities, one of the perks was extra leave when you wanted it. On inspection it occurred to us that it appeared some of the roof over part of our bedroom was intact, even if it had dropped down to head level. The personal stories of how people experienced the cyclone are very powerful. Would it be ok if I use this some how in a project at school.

Cyclone tracy personal stories

Cyclone tracy personal stories. Cyclone Tracy Stories


Warning, The Story of Cyclone Tracy by Sophie Cunningham

We were now standing around in a dazed little family huddle. Looking around, we could see little family groups everywhere doing the same looking in disbelief at the rubble of their homes. Even though the night's experience had been traumatic, no one really expected such a scene. Then the shock hit. People suddenly became very cold and shivered uncontrollably - us included. It was still drizzling lightly and we were soaked to the skin. While the adrenalin had been pumping, we had not even noticed that.

We were now very cold. How to get something dry when your house and everything was blown away? Bruce and I clambered over the debris to what had been our bedrooms. At least our built-in wardrobes were, sort of, surviving on their teetering walls. The doors were blown open or off, but some clothes were still hanging very wet and stained. Obviously the doors had blown open at the last. Being North Queenslanders we knew that things blew open, even into the winds - the pressure being greater than the windforce itself.

The last thing I had done, before getting under the pool table, was to slide lengths of pictureframe moulding, from my studio, through the loop handles of our built-in cupboards. This way the doors were braced against each other. It had worked. The shattered moulding still hung off some of the remaining handles.

Quite a bit of clothing had survived but very wet. Under the bedroom debris, I spotted Bruce's grandfather's very heavy sea chest from when he had been a ship's captain travelling the world. It had been handed down through the family. Clearing my way to it, upon opening it, I found it had remained true to its purpose.

No doubt it had probably been through much the same on its journeys round the world. The woollen blankets and clothes I had stored in there, never imagining I would need them in Darwin, were bone dry.

I grabbed a blanket to wrap around my boys and myself, and one for Grandma. Bruce pulled on his old woollen sweater. My friend next door had followed me into the remains of our house.

She was desperate for something to wear. She had made the mistake of going to bed in a skimpy, see through nightie.

Now she stood there one arm over her breasts, and the other arm trying to conceal her crotch area. The wet nylon nightie was clinging everywhere. She may as well have been wearing nothing. She was happy. Their clothes were "gone with the wind". Her husband was standing in his G-string underpants as when he'd gone to bed. So we dressed him in Bruce's shorts which were still neatly folded, albeit wet, in the drawers within our built-in cupboards. The rest of the warm dry clothes in the sea chest went into dressing the neighbourhood children.

The children were suffering as much shock as the adults. Within the first hour, a doctor dressed in T-shirt, shorts, joggers, and carrying his medical bag trotted along our street, clambering over and around the debris, calling out if anyone needed emergency treatment. You could not have driven a car, even a 4WD, anywhere on the streets. What streets? It was hard to distinguish where the streets had been. By this time it was all getting to me. The neighbours on our other side called out for everyone to come into their lounge area to escape the drizzle.

They were also in a ground level brick house but their lounge and hallway had a unique feature for Darwin. It had a plaster ceiling. Some of it was still intact even though their roof was gone. Their house was also wrecked with only a wall standing in their lounge room, but the hallway walls, although badly holed, were still standing. He was up on the top, with a brace and bit, hand drilling holes into the plaster, so it would not collapse with the weight of the rainwater.

The boys and I, with Grandma, sat on the hallway floor under the blankets. Bruce was off checking things out. He came back smiling. He had rescued the Christmas ham, plum pudding and custard.

Amongst the rubble he had found the frig still standing, but not in its place, with the door blown open. He had quickly shut the door after removing his favourite Christmas fare.

Now he stood there saying, "Merry Christmas everyone. Anyone for ham and pudding? He could not understand why everyone groaned, and refused the offer. He broke off pieces and happily tucked into the food.

I think it was his way of coping. Gradually the rain stopped and the sun came out. We all regained our composure and wandered off to our various ruins. On inspection it occurred to us that it appeared some of the roof over part of our bedroom was intact, even if it had dropped down to head level. We recognized it was the galvanised steel framed and zincalume lined trundle door from the shed two houses away.

The very large shed held their large caravan and very big cabin cruiser side by side. When either was needed, the trundle door in front, would be rolled across the other. It was so very heavy and cumbersome. To think that such a large heavy object was flying through the air, across that distance, to slice through our rafters and brickwork, and lodge there, made us appreciate our fortunate survival. We looked at where our alternative choice for shelter had been.

A long timber house girder, not ours, had pierced the two opposite walls of the bathroom and was still lodged across - right where we would have been sitting on the floor.

Some of us certainly would have been killed. Many of our neighbours and friends were able to relate equally lucky escapes. The Greek family in the duplex they owned across the road from us were very shaken. She was hysterical. The couple and their young children had sheltered in their bathroom for the first half of the cyclone.

When the brief calm of the eye came they had compared damage with their tenants' other half of the duplex. Because she was already panicked, they had decided reluctantly to take up the tenants' offer for the family to shelter with them in their bathroom for company and morale.

When they all emerged from the debris they were shaken by this fateful decision. The bathroom in which they had previously been sheltering was completely flattened by a flying concrete slab twice the size of the bathroom.

It was still lying there. It took quite a while to calm her down. Her children were also clothed from grandfather's sea chest. It is amazing how quickly some people can spring into action.

The main arterial roads were bulldozed clear by midafternoon. The bulldozers were driving the streets as if they were graders on a gravel road. They pushed the debris to one side as they drove along at quite a pace. It had to be done quickly for the emergency workers. The selfless emergency personnel, who gave up their private lives to help others, were checking the ruins of Darwin for the wounded and dead.

Our church minister was doing the rounds, checking on his flock. He was dressed in his pyjama shorts. His high set house had been blown clean to the floorboards. He and his wife had survived by huddling in the bathtub. Being cemented into the floor, it was the only thing left standing. Bruce gave him some wet sets of shirts and shorts, and some of my dresses for his wife. Then he went off to check on others.

The car was dented, scraped and scratched but the main thing was that the glass and tyres were intact. We were amazed to find our car with all its four wheels sitting on top of a large sheet of corrugated iron. There was not a scratch on the tyres, so obviously at some moment during the cyclone, the car had been lifted completely up in the air by the winds, at which moment the sheet of iron had blown under, hit the brick wall, stopped, and the car had come back down on top of it.

My little Fiat Bambino had not fared as well.

Cyclone tracy personal stories

Cyclone tracy personal stories

Cyclone tracy personal stories